Friday, May 18, 2012

Welcome Back to Birmingham

At the end of the 2012 season the Birmingham Barons will be leaving a place that had been home for the last 25 seasons. Regions Park formerly known as Hoover Metropolitan Stadium AKA The Met, became the home to the Barons in 1988 when then owner Art Clarkson relocated the team. Now the Barons will be moving back into the city limits of Birmingham into a new state of the art stadium that will be named Regions Field. The stadium will be located close to downtown Birmingham in an area call Railroad Park. Railroad Park is a recent edition to the city built as part of the urban revitalization efforts in Birmingham.

Well this season I have made the attempt to attend at least one Barons home game in each home stand this season. During each game I have taken the time to ask fellow "fans" if they are excited about or will they attend games at the new stadium next season. The responses I have received have been somewhat shocking, but after thinking about it not really. I would say that the majority of the fans I have spoken to have said they will quit attending Barons games after this season. I say that shocks me because as a baseball fan I love attending games, especially if it is my hometown team. The reason it doesn't shock me is that there has been a divide in the Metro Birmingham area for the last 20 years or so between "Over the Mountain" residents and those that live elsewhere. Some of the residents that reside "Over the Mountain" seem to feel they have a sense of entitlement and that going to downtown Birmingham is beneath them.

The final thing that set me off about this topic was a post on a social media site about the new stadium when a person said "I'm going to miss going to Barons games...I was spoiled by having them convenient to home." That is an example of the "Over the Mountain" mentality that I have referred to. If it's not convenient for me, I'm not going to do it. I replied to that statement, with this "Fans that are saying they won't go to Barons games cause of the move, need to think about the 100,000+ fans over the last 25 years who have had to drive a little for a baseball game." A true fan will support their team no matter the drive. I am one of those fans that have had to make the 30+ minute drive to Hoover to attend games just based on the reason that I love baseball. 


In closing, for the people that will refuse to attend games next season because they will now have to drive a little further to get to a game. Enjoy your nights at home watching TV or going to the movies, or shopping or whatever you decide to do, Myself and the true fans of baseball and the Birmingham Barons will be enjoying the luxury of a beautiful new stadium in the real home of the Barons, Birmingham, Alabama. 


Till next time....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment