Sunday, February 10, 2013

Country Grammar? No Country Grammy's



part of the Grammys. I would do the other categories as well, but I do not really listen to much more than country music, so I really wouldn’t know more than what I hear when I am out. There are 81 different golden gramophones given out during the Grammys, yet there are only four country music categories. So with that in mind, here are the nominees, who I think should win and who will win.

Best Country Solo Performance
Home – Dierks Bentley, Springsteen – Eric Church, Cost Of Livin' – Ronnie Dunn, Wanted – Hunter Hayes, Over – Blake Shelton, Blown Away: – Carrie Underwood

This category is a mixed bag. You have two former Grammy winners in Carrie Underwood and Ronnie Dunn. Blake Shelton who has gone from just another male vocalist to a legit threat to win any award he’s nominated for. Dierks Bentley and Eric Church, not necessarily household names outside of the country music genre and the youngest and newest artist of the nominees Hunter Hayes. I am a huge fan of all the songs that are nominated this year, and if I was giving the award it would go to Ronnie Dunn for Cost of Livin’. However I do not have a vote and my opinion only counts here, so your winner for this Grammy will be Hunter Hayes for Wanted.

Best Country Duo/Group Performance
Even If It Breaks Your Heart – Eli Young Band, Pontoon – Little Big Town, Safe & Sound – Taylor Swift & The Civil Wars, On The Outskirts Of Town – The Time Jumpers, I Just Come Here For The Music – Don Williams Featuring Alison Krauss

This Grammy for me comes down to two artist. You have the Eli Young Band who despite being active since 2000 did not have a song hit the charts till 2007 with “When it Rains.” Little Big Town on the other hand had success a little quicker than that. After forming in 1999, they had a single chart only 3 years later with “Don’t Waste My Time.” Little Big Town had the top song in my opinion for the summer of 2012 with Pontoon, but I think this Grammy will go to the new kids in town. I pick the Eli Young Band with Even If It Breaks Your Heart to win this Grammy.

Best Country Song
Blown Away – Carrie Underwood, Cost of Livin’ – Ronnie Dunn, Even If It Breaks Your Heart – Eli Young Band, So You Don’t Have To Love Me Anymore – Alan Jackson, Springsteen – Eric Church

One of my keys to liking a song a lot of times is did the singer write the song as well as performance. I think music in general today is lacking when it comes to true singer/songwriters and has become more focused on a good beat than a good song. With that being said there is only one nominee in this category that helped write the song nominated and that is Eric Church with Springsteen. If I had a vote, this would be high on my list, but I think this Grammy will go to Carrie Underwood for Blown Away. Blown Away is just what I described about music today, great beat, catchy lyrics which equals gold now. And for Ms. Carrie Underwood it will equal a golden gramophone.

Best Country Album
Uncaged – Zac Brown Band, Hunter Hayes – Hunter Hayes, Living For A Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochrane – Jamey Johnson, Four The Record – Miranda Lambert, The Time Jumpers – The Time Jumpers

I believe this category has two legitimate nominees and the rest are just fillers. While I am a big fan of the Zac Brown Band, I do not think this is the best album they have done. I have already discussed the meteoric rise that Hunter Hayes is own, but Miranda Lambert is riding a meteor alongside him. Jamey Johnson is a great throwback to the days when country music started finding its way to the mainstream and I honestly had to search to see who The Time Jumpers are.  If this was a race, it would come down to a photo finish between Hunter Hayes and Miranda Lambert. I think this Grammy will go to Hunter Hayes for his self-titled album Hunter Hayes.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the show, God Bless and have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment